TESPA at the University of Utah represents the united gaming community on campus. am is proud to say that he has been able to help with hosting some of the greatest tournaments in Utah.
Sam has created the huge majority of all graphics for TESPA at the Univeristy of Utah including but not limited to Jerseys, Flyers, Banners, Social Media Graphics, event decks, Logos, Branding for Individual Clubs, creation of the TESPA at the University of Utah Website, and unique branding for every event.
Originally constructed for a friend, this project evolved into so much more. I was commissioned to create an atmosphere where players could easily become engrossed in a story put on by the map and assisted by events. I chose to create an underground level set after a post-apocalyptic event happened on the surface causing the survivors to flee underground. Each of the buildings on this map has functioning lights, doors, hidden passage ways, and halls. These aren’t just paper houses, they have depth, character, functions that the players will be able to use for their roleplaying. Each one tells a story of a civilization on the verge of starvation, a sad, dark, miserable place where survival is an everyday goal and people are constantly in search of a get away from the ever imposing government.
The game was unfortunately scrapped, however, alot of time went into this map and alot of lessons were learned. I was able to learn Source SDK’s Hammer and learn the fundamentals to brush based geometry and level design. Compared to creating a map using prebuilt props, brush based design is bulky, and unwieldy at times. It creates circumstances where you must work around the naturally boxy geometry and create tricks to make it look better. The trick to doing so is effective usage of props and lighting. With clever lighting, the hard corners can be made to look softer and ignored, with props, they can be covered up. Thankfully, Valve has a huge index of props, textures, and effects that were at my disposal. Decals were certainly another way of breaking up these shapes. They were able to effectively cover up parts and break up the repetition of the basic textures.
You are Milgram, a C.I.A agent that has recently been transferred to work with Senior Agent Harvey McCord on a mission to find the perpetrator behind a dirty bomb that has been planted in your city. Some suspects have been found, and it is your job to find out where the bomb is at all costs. In this 2D puzzle adventure you will be faced with many difficult decisions. You will be armed with an arsenal of personal information for interrogation, and a toolbox of instruments to "pursuade" the suspects to give you the information that you need. How you derive the information necessary is up to you. You determine what is right and what is wrong, the only question is- will you be left with dirty hands?
This project was part of my Alternative Game Design class at the University of Utah. Our goal was to create a game that addressed an issue in society. As a group, we decided to pose a question to the game development community, "If you do the wrong things for the right reasons, is it still considered morally correct?" To enforce this question we created a torture interrogation game where players would have to use harsh methods to get information out of their subjects in order to save the rest of the city from a ticking time bomb. Is torture of one person morally correct if it's done to save thousands?
I took lead of this project with members from my previous team that created Icarus. Scott, our artist, really outdid him self with the style of this game and his art helped us to enforce a creepy world where the player would feel off put by it. As leader, I created task lists for team members, created goals and deadlines, and helped to fill in where members needed help. I also helped Scott with the art by making it game ready and putting it into Unity. The programming on this project was mostly done by two team members but where I could, I helped them out. I also helped with some of the sound design including the ambient sounds, the voices, and the UI sound effects.
Overall, this was a fun project but very stressful. In hindsight, I believe that we overreached for our six month time period. We should have focused mainly on one level and gotten it working as a proof of concept. However, we charged forward and ended up rushing some of the core elements of the game in order to push forward more plot progression.